Tareptepism is the Dynamic art of fusing influences: An art of fluid movement ever changing and evolving through the matrix where the art and the artist dwell. Like water it is ever flexible and boundless.
TAREPTEPISM means putting motion to visual representation of emotion and soul through manipulation of lights, colors, textures and lines.
TAREPTEPISM capturing motion from environment and capturing the dynamism of emotion.
Tareptepism, contrary to futurism, is pro nature. Tareptepism compares to surrealism, surrealism is more on dream while tareptepism is more on hallucination. Compares to realism,; imperfection as to realism while inconsistency as to tareptepism. The waves, the wind, the streams, formation of leaves, ripples of water are some of the elements that inspired tareptepism. It is an illusion of motion.
Vincent Christopher Gonzales, Painting as an Optical Illustion
The illusion of motion is what gives worthy paintings impact, hypothesized Baler, Aurora self-taught visual artist Vincent Christopher Gonzales. He suggested to elder brother Sherwin Paul Gonzales, who is an award-winning visual artist having exhibited in three continents in 2014, that they create an art movement based on this principle. As a truly indigenous Filipino art style was missing, Sherwin suggested to give it a Filipino name from the initial Illusionism or Motionism as they coined to call it. Since they are from Baler, they decided to name it Tareptipism from the old Tagalog word tareptep, which means ripple of water, waves being the art principle’s denominator. And Vincent turned Tareptipism’s most prolific exponent.
Tareptipism is… blue and green scattering more strongly as orange and red flash, giving the horizon brilliant and beautiful glow akin to an optical illusion. It turns into a highly textured and colorful abstraction trees in bright and warm neon color of a Baler landscape overlaps a seascape with rolling big waves pulsating with the rays of light and energy brought by the wind. Then Vincent asks not what makes a philosophy but rather the more intriguing question: What makes an artist’s philosophy?
He shares: “Work without emotion and feeling is not art for me. You have freedom in your canvass but with freedom comes equal responsibility towards your community. Respect is very valuable when it comes to being an artist. But one should keep in mind that he should research and development his reason towards his culture and his community. Art for me is free which should not be hampered by anyone. An artist should be open-minded and not be tied by principles.”
Vincent chooses to do art because this is what makes him happy. He subscribes that every artist has a goal that defines him. “My ultimate goal is leave a legacy not only to my family or country but to humanity as a whole,” he summed up.
- Finalist GSIS National Art Competition 2015
- Artleader of 2014. Artlead off
- Juror’s Choice Award, First Kunst Pilipino Painting Competition, 2010
- Silver Award, Senatorial Award. ATI, Painting Competition
- ”Celebrating Life”, Art Asia Gallery, SM Megamall, Pasig City, Philippines April 20, 2015
- ”Quo Vadis Overseas Filipino “, Alveo Corporate Building, Bonifacio Global City, Philippines March 8-15, 2015
- ”Quo Vadis Overseas Filipino “, Manila Hotel, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines February 25- 27, 2015
- ”Pumapapel Volume III”, Erehwon Center for the Arts, Old Balara ,Quezon City, Philippines February 25, 2015
- ”ARTleadoff 2015”, Rence Gallery, 3 Purdue St. Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines January 25, 2015
- ”Rizal in Europe”, Palazzo Medici Ricardi, Florence Italy, June 29, 2014.
- ”Tareptepan Arts and Music Festival”, Costa Pacifica Hotel, Baler, Aurora, Philippines June 28, 2014.
- ”Rizal in Europe”, Chelsea Gallery, Chelsea Old Town Hall, King’s Road London, UK, June 25, 2014.
- ”Rizal in Europe”, MOYA (Museum Of Young Art) , Palais Schonborn, Vienna Austria, June 21, 2014.
- ”Rizal in Europe”, Schaffhausen Tourism Hall, Herrenacker Schaffhausen, Switzerland. June 19, 2014.
- ”Rizal in Europe”, Burgplatz, Essen, Germany, June 14, 2014.
- ”Rizal in Europe”, Ontmoetingshuis De Brug, Hertshage, Belgium, June 7, 2014.
- ”Mandala Tres”, Robinson Mall, Pulilan, Bulacan, Philippines May 11, 2014.
- “Opening Kapampangan Art Center”, Paskuhan Village, San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines February 14, 2014.
- “Performance art meets Visual arts”, Cultural Center of the Philippines, Pasay Manila, Philippines December 14, 2013
- “Ethical Fashion and Art Show”, Cambrigde University, Cambrigde England, November 21, 2012
- “Unang Daloy”, Central Luzon Art Congress, SM City Baliuag, Bulacan, Philippines October 2 – 17, 2012
- “Grand opening” , An Binh Gallery, Crescent Mall, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, September 15 to October 1, 2012.
- “Exposition collective”, Cercle Des Beaux – Arts, Verviers Liege, Brussels, Belgium. August 15 – 31, 2012
- “Bangkok Art Experience 2012”, Phil Embassy, Sukhumvit Bangkok Thailand, June 10-14 , 2012
- “Abby sees the vision”, Philippine Normal University, Taft Avenue, Manila, Philippines February 24, 2012
- “A Showcase of Contemporary Arts”, Artist’s Village, Dikasalarin Baler, Aurora, Philippines February 20, 2012
- “A Showcase of Contemporary Arts”, SP Hall, Aurora Capitol, Baler Aurora, Philippines February 13, 2012
- “HEART FOR A CAUSE”, Manila Hotel, Manila, Philippines February 16, 2012
- ”New Colony” , Masters Art Trend Gallery, SM Megamall, Mandaluyong City, Philippines January 8 – 23, 2012
- “Filipinism” Transwing Kunts Gallery, Darmstadt, Germany, June 19, 2011
- “Filipinism” Ethnology Museum, Vienna, Austria, June 15, 2011
- “Filipinism” Muzee Scheveningen, The Hague, Netherlands, June 9, 2011
- “Filipinism” Chelsea Gallery, London, UK., June 1, 2011
- “Filipinism” Fachklinik St. Kamilus Gallerie, Essen, Germany, May 30, 2011
- “Filipinism” Renaissance Gallery, SM Megamall, Pasig City, Philippines April 2011
- “Amang Bayan” SM City Sta Mesa, Manila, Philippines June 11 – 13, 2010.
- “Dose for Dose” Kanlungan ng Sining, Kilometer 0, Rizal Park, Manila, Philippines April 24, 2010
- “Art from Baler” Bulwagan ng Dangal, University of the Philippines, Diliman Quezon City, Philippines March 15 to April 30, 2010
- “Korea Philippines Art Exhibit 2010” GSIS Museum, Pasay City, Philippines February 26, 2010.
- “Kunts Gallery, Batangas City, Batangas, Philippines January 29, 2010
- “ISM x-mas exhibition” Exhibition Center for Contemporary Arts, Valle Verde I, Pasig City, Philippines December 11, 2009
- ”Linking the possibilities” Fiesta Resort Guam, 801 Pale San Vitores Road Tumon 96913 Guam, November 12 -14, 2009
- ”Manila FAME International” World Trade Center, Pasay City, Philippines October 15 -18, 2009
- ”Baler A State of Mind IV” Malacanang Museum, Malacanang Palace, Manila, Philippines May 28, 2009
- ”Freshmen All Star” Big & Small Gallery, Robinson Manila, Philippines May 16, 2009
- ”Baler A State of Mind III” NCCA Gallery, Intramuros, Metro Manila, Philippines April 20, 2009
- ”Baler A State of mind”, Dumagat Gallery of Arts, Baler Aurora, Philippines January 15, 2009
- “NEW ART COLLECTIVE” , Art Association of the Philippines and The Artery Manila, Botong’s Up Restobar and Artspace, Makati City, Philippines January 26, 2009.
- ”A Showcase of Contemporary Arts”, Dimalangat Arts Movement, Museo de Baler, Philippines June 30, 2008
- ”Tiwala at Kapaligiran”, Dimalangat Arts Movement, Bistro Baler, Philippines June 15, 2008.
- Permanent collection of his painting, Ethnology Museum in Vienna Austria
Featured in Television
- “Kris real Tv” ABS CBN, host: Kris Aquino.
- “Executive Class” ANC- ABS CBN, host: David Celdran.
- Segment “Obra” TFC – ABS CBN.
- “Motorcycle Diary” GMA 7, host:Jay Taruk.
- “I love Pinas” GMA 7, host: Carlo Lorenzo.
- “Balitang Europe”, TFC- ABS CBN, 5x.
- “Life style Network” ABS CBN, host: Karen Pamintuan and Walter de Mesa.
- “Something to Chew on” Solar News Chanel, host : Xandra Rocha.
- Baler Art Group, Member
- Buklod Anyaw, Officer
- Sining Silangan, Member
- Bolog bolog Art Group, Officer
- Dimalangat artist community inc., President
- Arts Association of the Philippines, Aurora Province Chapter Representative
- Pioneer Tareptepism Art Society
- Kunts Pilipino , Member
- ARTlead, Member
- Central Luzon Visual Art League